Search This Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012

Teething/nursing necklace

What a busy month December has been! Between school work, crafting gifts, and preparing for the holidays I've simply not been able to find the time to blog! (But that doesn't mean that I haven't been thinking about you guys :)).  I've actually been working on a few new patterns that you'll hear about today and in the next few days/weeks.  There will also be a few "ta-da" moments when I'll present my finished Christmas gifts, but that will definitely come after Christmas so I don't spoil any surprises!

So without further ado, I present you with my new pattern for a teething/nursing necklace!

Here is the back story...about a week and a half ago my friend asked me if I could make a necklace that she could wear when she is feeding her 5 month old son, because he is so alert that he is getting distracted by all the visuals in the room as he is eating.  She showed me a picture of something she found online and asked if I could make something similar.  The necklace she showed me had wooden beads of different sizes, wooden beads covered by crochet, and a crocheted cord.  A necklace like this would also be good when he starts teething.  She told me that she wanted a few beads and gave me the supplies (a ribbon and the wooden beads) to use for the necklace.  The colors she wanted were blues and greens.  Now, since I'm trying to use yarn that is in my stash, I looked to see what I had in those colors.  Turns out I had a nice amount of Vanna's choice.  Then I tried to find a pattern to crochet around a wooden bead, using aran weight yarn...but I couldn't find one.  So....I made my own!


Supplies:
What you'll need are some wooden beads--I used round 1 inch wooden beads--you can find these at a craft store.
Aran (or worsted) weight yarn, like Vanna's choice.
A G crochet hook.
Some ribbon or extra yarn to chain a necklace
And a yarn needle for sewing in ends/threading beads onto the necklace.

Abbreviations:
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
sc2tog = single crochet 2 together
ss = slip stitch

Gauge: Not really important, but try not to crochet TOO tightly as it will be harder to get the bead inside the crocheted outer "cup."

The beads are actually very simple to make.  They are worked in the round, so do not join the rounds with ss.

Round 1: Start by ch 3, and ss to the first stitch to make a tiny loop.
Round 2: Make 6 sc into this loop.(6 sc)
Round 3: Make 2 sc into each stitch in the previous round (12 sc).
Round 4: Make *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next* around (18 sc).
Round 5: sc in each stitch around (18 sc).
Round 6: *sc2tog, sc* around (12 sc).

Up until this point you have not worked with the bead.  You'll place the wooden bead into this little crocheted "cup" during the next round.

What you have should look something like this

Begin Round 7: sc2og around (6 sc)-- when you've completed maybe 2 of the 6 stitches in this round, insert the bead.
Push the bead inside.
I've found it works better to pull up the "cup" over the bead as you work the sc2tog. 

When all the stitches of Round 7 are complete, join to the next stitch (aka the first stitch of round 7) with a ss.

Tuck in ends.  I found it works well to place a crochet hook through the center of the bead/covering so that you can sew in the ends.  This also makes sure that everything lines up appropriately.



For my necklace I made 7 beads in different colors.


Next, string them on to your desired length of ribbon.  Rather not use a ribbon? Chain a desired amount with a yarn of your choice and string the beads on that.  Want to mix in some wooden non-crocheted beads too? Go ahead! :).  To clean it, you can soak it in cool water and let it dry.

Happy crocheting!  Feel free to use this pattern as you please, just do not reproduce the text or pictures without my permission.



12 comments:

  1. The finished product is beautiful. Colin is very intrigued by the beads. It is a hit and working out well so far. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your beads; Merry Christmas Jessica and best wishes for 2013
    Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you thank you thank you!! Easy to follow and turns out beautifully!! Much appreciation from my LO :) He says "thanks" by munching on the beads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a new step-grandmother and have just started learning how to crochet. My partner is concerned about the dyes in retail bought yarns and when they are used to make crocheted teething rings, which I would like to make. Are there any serious issues regarding this? I've looked into undyed and hand dyed yarn etc. but for a beginner such as me it is not cost effective. Kindly give me some input in this matter. I feel kids put all sorts of things in their mouth but it is information that I should be aware of, Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for checking out my blog! I honestly cannot speak to the safeness of the dyes in retail yarn. This is not one of my expertise. As always, parents and care givers should make the decisions that they feel will benefit their children the most. Children do put all sorts of things in their mouths, including clothing with different color dyes and possibly even flame retardants on them.

      If you're extremely concerned I would suggest an organic yarn that is not dyed. The ones I've seen are priced similarly to other yarns.

      For example, Knit Picks offers two different weights of organic cotton and they are both rather inexpensive.

      http://www.knitpicks.com/yarn-fiber/simply-cotton-organic-worsted-yarn.html

      http://www.knitpicks.com/yarn-fiber/simply-cotton-organic-sport-yarn.html

      If you have concerns about commercially dyed yarn I would suggest contacting the company directly.

      Sorry I can't be of more help.

      Delete
  6. wonderful idea ! made 3 this afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do I tuck in the ends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deanna,

      You tuck in the ends just like you would any other project and more specifically, any project that you cannot see the "wrong" side. Try and go under the stitches as best you can.

      ~Jessica

      Delete
  8. I tried this pattern and my cup is way to big for my bead I'm using 25 mm beads can you think of maybe what I did wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, perhaps you should crochet tighter? I would try using a smaller hook to see if that helps. OR you could do fewer increase rounds--I would increase until you're half way up your bead and then start decreasing.

      Let me know if this helps.
      ~Jessica

      Delete
  9. I tried this pattern and my cup is way to big for my bead I'm using 25 mm beads can you think of maybe what I did wrong.

    ReplyDelete