Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Owl Cup Cozy

Lately I've been on a mission to try and use up as much of my yarn stash as possible.  I'm really liking the way that this task forces my creativity to flow since I can't just go out and buy the "correct" yarn.  I've been wanting to make myself a reusable coffee cup cozy for some time now, but just never got around to doing it.  If you don't know by now, I'm sort of obsessed with owls....(and purple! especially purple owls...ok, I digress..)...so what better to make as a coffee cozy, but something with an owl on it! To get REALLY creative, I decided to design my own owl, rather than use an existing pattern.  So on Sunday I got my bag of Vanna's choice out and got to work.  The main part of the cozy is a very simple pattern (just single crochets and some crab stitch) and then I made a little owl and sewed him on!

Here's the pattern for what I did...it hasn't been tested, so if there are any errors in it let me know and I'll fix it :).  Also, as always, feel free to use my pattern as you like, but please DO NOT copy my pattern, call it your own, or plagiarize me in any way...it will make me very sad :(...so link to my pattern rather than copying it somewhere.

Happy crocheting!








Owl Cup Cozy
Finished size: Fits around a paper coffee cup.  I used a Starbucks cup as a measure of the cup it fits.

Materials:
Aran or worsted weight yarn.  I used leftovers, so I’m not sure of the exact yardage requirements.  Use up scraps and make it colorful!
Size I and F crochet hooks
Buttons for eyes.
Needle to sew in ends.

Skills needed:
Single crochet
Double crochet
Slip stitch
Crochet in the round and by rows.
Magic ring.

Abbreviations:
CH – chain
SC – single crochet
HDC – half double crochet
DC – double crochet
TR – treble crochet
DTR – double treble crochet
SS – slip stitch
SC2tog – single crochet two together
RSC – reverse single crochet

Instructions:

For the cozy—CH 31 or amount to fit around cup, preferably at the thinner part of the cup.
Round 1: Join as a round and SC in each stitch around join with a SS to the first SC in the round (30 stitches or 1 less than your chain amount).
Round 2: Ch 1, SC in same stitch as SS of last row.  SC around (30 sc).
Repeat for 11 rounds.   For round 12, RSC (aka crab stitch) around.  Break yarn.  Now move to the bottom of the cozy, on the parts of the beginning CH that are visible, RSC around.  Break yarn and sew in ends.

Owl body:
Round 1: Using magic ring, CH2 (does not count as a stitch), 12 DC in ring.  Join with a slip stitch to the top of the first DC, NOT the beginning chain. Pull ring closed.
Round 2:  2 DC in each DC around (24 DC), join with a slip stitch to the first DC in round.
Now begin to work in rows.
Row 1: CH 2, (1 DC in next stitch, 2 DC in next stitch) repeat until the end, 1 DC in last stitch. (10 stitches)
Row 2: Turn, CH1, 2SC in first DC, 1 SC in the next 8 stitches, 2 SC in the last DC.

SS around the entire owl body.  Leave a long tail for sewing to the cozy later.

Owl tummy:
CH 3.
Round 1: SC in 2nd chain from hook and in next chain.  Then 3 more SC in last chain.  Working on the back side of the foundation chain, SC in each chain.  Then 3 SC in other end of the chain. (You’re making an oval.)
Round 2: [You’ll be flowing the same idea as the first round—SC in the “side” stitches and make more stitches at the end.] So, SC in next 3 SCs.  You should be at the 3 SC made at the end of the row in the previous round.  2SC in first stitch, 3SC in end stitch, 2 SC in third stitch.  Then 1 SC in each of the next 4 SCs.  Repeat the end 2-3-2 process at the other end—2 SC in 1st of the 3 stitch group, 3 SC in the next, and 2 SC in the last.  Then SC in remaining stitch.  Join together with a SS and fasten off.

Wing:
CH 8
SC in 2nd chain from hook, HDC in next stitch, DC in next two stitches, TR in next 2 stitches, in last stitch [2 DTR, 1DC, 1SC] fasten off.

Eyes (make 2):
Using magic ring, CHs 2, 7 DC in ring, join to top of the chain. Pull ring closed.  Fasten off.

Beak:
Using smaller hook CH 4.
SC in 2nd chain from hook (3 stitches).
SC2tog then SC in last stitch (2 stitches).
SC2tog (1 stitch).
Fasten off.

Assemble owl before attaching to cup cozy.  Tuck ends in.

7 comments:

  1. I love this pattern. My daughter's sorority symbol is Owl so it is perfect for her and some of her friends. However, in working on it--confused on body where you say you have 10 stitches at end of row 1. Several of us have worked on it and can't get it. Is it typo or are we just dense? Any help appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi,

      Perhaps I should clarify that section. You're only going to be making 10 stitches by working in the next 7 stitches. You're not going all the way around the circle you've made.

      See if that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

      ~Jessica

      Delete
  2. Do u have free patterns? And i want to make Owl cup cozy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Yes, my patterns are free. The pattern for the owl cup cozy is in the blog entry. It starts below the picture. Happy crocheting!

      Delete
  3. I DONT UNDERSTAND ROUND 12 AND HOW TO DO IT COULD YOU EXPLAIN LOVE THE OWL PATTTERN MYD AUGHTERS LOVES OWLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Round 12 is the reverse single crochet round. This stitch is also called crab stitch. What you do is work regular single crochet, but in the opposite direction.

      If you're right handed you move to the left as you crochet. For reverse single crochet, you move to the right instead.

      Here is a tutorial about it: http://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=17

      Delete