Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Rainbow blanket is finally done!!!!!!

Originally uploaded by scullybubbles322
Yep, that's right!!!! The blanket that I started ALLLLL the way back in the summer of 2008, had to take apart over New Years Eve 2008/New Years Day 2009 and restart is FINALLY done!!!

Sick days are good for relaxing and getting things done! It fits on the top of my bed and looks wonderful! I <3 it!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Stitch markers

My very good friend Lindsey recently had a birthday.  As her gift, I decided to make her a set of 9 stitch markers.  They were pretty fun and simple-ish to make once I got the hang of them and got the correct length "head pins."  To make them you need some sort of ring--I used the circular part of a toggle clasp, head pins to put beads on, beads, round nosed pliers, and wire cutters.  I also used flat head pliers (not actually sure that is their name...but the head was flat lol) to hold the toggle/head pin as I wrapped it around itself.  Once I figured out how to properly hold what I was making it got easier.  I didn't write up a tutorial for them, but you can find a good one here.

And for the final result....drum roll please......

All nine markers--3 orange, 3 teal, 3 purple.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011


So I recently learned about a program to create HDR photographs.  HDR stands for high dynamic range and has to do with allowing a greater difference between the light and dark areas of a photograph.  It can be created from using multiple images shot at different exposures and then mapping them together or it can be done with software like NIK HDR (which is what I've been playing with).

I only have a 15 day trial, but I've really enjoyed it so far.  Obviously I need to work on getting the HDR better, but here are some samples I've worked on.

NYC skyline before and after:

Amsterdam Avenue before and after:

Pepsi can before and after:

Mossy log before and after:

Rose before and afters (two different images):

1/12th of 2011 done!

I think I've had a pretty productive 2011 so far--in crafting, school, and life!  I've been working on a few new projects and I've been commissioned to make two more baby blankets for the first half of the year ;) YES!

I have a deadline of March coming up for blankets for twins--a boy and a girl.  I'm not a fan of giving very gendered gifts myself, but my mom wanted a "boy" colored blanket and a "girl" I do what my mom says (well, when they are for her friend hehee).  I'm just about done with the "boy" one and have started the "girl" one.

The "boy" one :)

Beginning of the "girl" :).

I've also been busy on the train working on my accordion scarf! Interning 3 days a week plus going to see my advisor at least once a week makes for a lot of time commuting!  Especially with all this things are delayed!  I took this picture a few days ago, I'm actually further along!

Oh and not related to yarn per say (except that I *was* knitting as I was waiting for the class to begin....) I participated in the 90 minute challenge at CKO on 1/15/11.  It was awesome as usual.  Each trainer trained us for 10 minutes and kept switching.  Class is usually 60 minutes and you can burn at least 800 calories, so 90 minutes is quite the challenge!

Annnnnnd, since I don't like to make things easy or back down, this past Monday night I created my own "120 minute challenge."  I took two back to back classes with my favorite trainer (and in my opinion one of the harder ones).  My friend Steph and I rocked the two hours...I feel so good that I wish I could do that EVERY single day!

This is "my" bag....I <3 it.  I've kicked off 3 to date....

And I've officially started work on my dissertation!  Last semester was sort of a preview of what I thought I'd be doing, but now it is official!  My advisor even estimates that I might be able to have my proposal done by the end of the semester, which would be fantastic!  The research has to do with causal inference and the effect of being place into a remedial course (or some other sort of course that placement occurs by using a cut score) on students that are virtually the same except being placed differently.  More to come when I have more written out :).